Monday, October 17, 2005

My purpose of marriage

When Ridha, my husband, proposed to marry me, I asked him whether we were going to live separately or not. He was still doing his study (and still is) in Singapore, while I lived in Bandung, Indonesia. The reason i asked was that I dont want to live as a wife separately from my husband. I'd rather postpone the wedding until we can live together as husband and wife than live separately away and having that horrifying long distance relationship one more freaking time. So, I told him that i dont want to live so far away from him after we got married. He said he doesnt want that either. So the wedding was still on ^_^.
One thing I remember before we got married, he made it clear to me about his purpose of getting married, and he wanted to make sure that he and I have the same purpose. He said that his purpose is Islam. Marriage is one form of ibadah in Islam because it is obeying Allah SWT and his Messenger SAW. One hadith narrated by Anas; the prophet Muhammad SAW said, "when a man marries, he has fulfilled half of his religion , so let him fear Allah regarding the remaining half."
Before he said anything about this, I never thought about my purpose of mariage. Well, i had some thoughts, but not like this one. It never occured to me that being a muslim, i have to consider every act i do as a part of ibadah and because of obedience to Allah SWT and His Messenger SAW, and that it should be on my top list of priorities. Now, thanks to my husband, i'm beginning to reconstruct my way of thinking about things i do in life.
Alhamdulillah, Allah SWT has made for me a good husband, one who can be imaam in my life, one who can make me a better muslimah. Insha Allah.

0 comments: